Today is my 30th birthday.
Does life look the way I thought it would? Nope. Do I love my life? YES! And along the way I like to think I’ve learned a thing or two.
As I lay here in my sun soaked hammock rocking to the wind from the Atlantic, I share with you the 30 things I’ve learned by 30.
1. Change is good. It helps you to grow.
2. Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
3. Don’t take things personally. Chances are great that it’s not really about you anyway.
4. Don’t believe everything you think.
5. Don’t let your past define your present.
6. Being beautiful is not about the flawlessness of your skin, the shine of your hair or the clothes you wear. Its about how you feel about yourself and true beauty radiates from within.
7. We cannot have it all. You will need to decide what’s important to you and dial in on it. The rest will have to wait for it’s time.
8. Mistakes are good. Great, even. They mean that you are taking risks and the more mistakes we make, the more we learn.
9. Have the spirit of a child.
10. Worry is a useless emotion. It doesn’t help, it only hurts, so let it go. Just know that whatever happens, you will find the tools within yourself to handle it.
11. Have faith in yourself.
12. Your happiness is up to YOU.
13. Stop waiting for (FILL IN THE BLANK). We spend all our time waiting for the weekend, for the summer, to be married, to have kids. Just enjoy where you are in the present because you will never be there again. We miss the beauty in the present by looking to the future.
14. Less is more, always.
15. Invest in experiences, not stuff.
16. Being healthy is more important that you think.
17. Finding what you’re passionate and pursuing those things is crucial to your happiness.
18. The things you don’t like most about people are usually things you don’t like in yourself. Recognize the triggers and work through them.
19. Awareness is the best kind of freedom. It removes obstructions and allows us to focus on what really matters.
20. Our fears are often unjustified. Make a list of your top 5 fears. Then write out what the worst-case scenario would be. Then find a way out of that same situation. I bet you just talked yourself out of your fears
21. Pain is useful, suffering is not. Suffering is a choice that you do not have to make.
22. Surround yourself with people that bring you up, not down.
23. Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s end. Actually, just don’t compare at all. Yes, that’s better.
24. Find your tribe.
25. Never make important decisions when you have PMS.
26. Get outside every single day.
27. Life is not what Facebook makes it seem like – you’re watching the highlight reel.
28. One person CAN make a difference.
29. When a person really desires something, the universe conspires to help that person realize their dream.
30. Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Bob Marley.